Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dad had one of his best friends visit today:  David Fisher.  Mom said that the day brought  laughter, and Dad was glad David was there.  I wish I had been there to hear them.  David always keeps Dad on his toes, and today was no exception.  Both of them absolutely love to eat, and it's not necessarily the quality of the food that will bring them back to a restaurant; sometimes it's the quantity!  They can both consume copious amounts of food.  David read Dad the Messenger-Inquirer today, and they went over the Rural King ad.  David managed to find a "hog pan" or a "hog trough".  They decided they needed to buy one of those, take it to one of their favorite restaurants, and see which one of them could fill it up with the most food!  I guess you had to be there, but........I am so glad that Dad enjoyed his day.

I think Dad is feeling better.  He tends to remain quiet most of the time, but he has his moments of humor.  His nurse, Ruth/Louise has described it most aptly as DRY humor.  She has been his nurse for three days, and he still calls her by the wrong name.  I don't know why he calls her Ruth, but Louise still manages to keep a smile on her face, regardless of the circumstances she finds in room 11016!  I think Dad looks better.  I don't know if the chemo is already working or the steroid has kicked into overdrive, but his color is better, and we are getting some smiles.  Ruth/Louise told him tonight that he had a sweet smile!  His hair is already starting to grow back - soon he will look like he's had a buzz cut!  He is eating everything on his plate - though he says that's not saying much!  I think there have been definite improvements in his demeanor over the past few days.  I give 100% of the credit to God.

Psalm 118:28-29 says, YOU ARE MY GOD, AND I WILL GIVE YOU THANKS; YOU ARE MY GOD, AND I WILL EXALT YOU.  GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD, FOR HE IS GOOD; HIS LOVE ENDURES FOREVER.

Our circumstances change, but God's love NEVER DOES!  We may find ourselves in the direst of circumstances, but He promises us that He will give us the strength to endure whatever we face.  I am holding Him to that promise, every single day.  I can make it through a lot of the day without crying, though every day brings its moments when you are overwhelmed with sadness.  My sister credits  this newfound strength on the Xanax prescription I have had filled!  I have made it through 48 years, and have never taken any anxi-anxiety medicine until now.  I do not give any of the credit to the Xanax; I have only taken a few of them.  All the credit goes to the answered prayers from each of you.  God is hearing every one of them, and He is ever gracious.  We have a long way to go, and I know the hardest part is still to come, but we are making it through, one day at a time.  Thank you for your love and support.  You don't realize how much prayer and friendship mean until you have your back against the wall.  All the hugs, prayers, meals, cards, emails and visits have meant more than you will ever know.  We have been humbled by all the love our friends and family have shown.  I don't know why we wait until something really awful happens before we take the time to show how much we mean to each other.  We really should show that love every day.  Life is short.  Make it count.  Make a difference in someone's life, and you'll change YOUR world too!

I am heading to Vanderbilt early in the morning, and I will be there all day.  I'll give you the "Freeman updates" tomorrow night!

Love,
Renee

2 comments: