His therapy started today. He met with the occupational therapist, physical therapist and speech therapist. He doesn't know why he has to have a speech therapist; he has no trouble with speech, which he doesn't. I think the actual job description might be a nicer way to describe "neurological therapist". Mom is sitting in on all the therapies, so that she continue using their methods at home. He walked around the gym, strapped into a safety harness. He "marched" back and forth over a rug, 15 steps one way, 15 steps back. He kept getting distracted by other things in the gym, and had to check everything out. He saw a ball he really wanted to use, but they told him he would have to wait until later. So, when they got back to their room, Mom and Clay played ball with Dad for a long time. He loves to throw it back and forth. He also loves to bat a balloon. Mom says he has a "little child look" in his eyes. I know it is very hard for her to watch, but it really seems to make him happy.
Mom and Clay both think he was just a little bit better today. He did manage to tell one doctor that he was in Louisville, and I believe he also told them he knew he was at Frazier. I don't think he got those answers right the next time those questions were asked. I know this is going to be a journey of patience, faith and trust. Lots of patience, faith and trust.
I talked to Mom tonight, and she said Dad was really tired, and he had that "hollow sound" in his voice. I think all the exercise wore him out. She asked him if he wanted to talk to Renee and I heard him say, "Not necessarily". I know that he doesn't know what he's saying, but that still cut to the bone. My "old" daddy would never have said that. Things are so very different now.
I guess I am hoping for God to answer my prayers quickly, in MY time, with a resounding YES. Kristie told me today, "We don't know what's on the other side of heaven". Only God knows what's best, and in HIS time, He will show us. Then I'll get my answer. In the meantime, lots of patience, faith and trust.........
Love,
Renee
Renee, I appreciate your post so much. I check every chance I get. You all are truly on a roller coaster ride, but I also see a family pulling together during the hard times. Let every encouraging word or action by others carry you through the day. Remember that everyone is praying for you all and will continue until the real Freeman is back.
ReplyDelete