Well, it has been a very long day of "hurry up and wait". Mom finally talked to the neurologist's nurse about appointments, and she told us that she had one tomorrow at 11:00 and then she had one on October 1st. She didn't know about the conversations that had been going on between Gregory and Dr. Moots. Mom told her there was no way we could wait until October; that Dad was way too sick. At 4:00, we got the message that Dad has an appointment at 11:00 at Vandy with the hematology oncologist, and at 5:00 with the neurology oncologist. We originally thought we would see both of them at the same time, but apparently this is not the case. They are going to present us with our options. They said that we will discuss the clinical trial, and then if Dad seems to be a candidate, more testing would need to be done to determine whether he will be a participant. They will also tell us about other treatment options. My concern regarding the clinical trial testing is that Dad may not have extra time for testing to check his eligibility. All three of his therapists told Mom this morning that there was a tremendous decline in his mental and physical body from this past Monday (2 days ago) to today. They said there was a marked decline just from yesterday to today. There will be a big decision to be made tomorrow. I hate to think that Dad will be put through very rigorous chemotherapy if his brain cells are not going to come back. We still don't know if shrinking the tumor will bring Dad's memory back. We don't know if the damage already done is permanent. We don't know if waiting a little longer for extra testing will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. When do we hit the point of no return? I don't know the answer, and I have a feeling the doctors won't know the answer to that question either. Only God knows, and I pray with all my heart that He makes the correct answer very obvious tomorrow.
Gregory's parents are, bless their hearts, going to pick up Mom and Dad very early in the morning. They are taking Mom's car and their car, and meeting Kristie and me in Bowling Green. Kristie and I will take Mom's car and my car on to Vanderbilt. Dad will be very tired before his day really starts. They will have a 3 hour ride from Louisville to Vanderbilt. I have a feeling that tomorrow will be overwhelming in many ways.
I have to thank Gregory for everything he has done for my dad. He has coordinated his care from the beginning, and we can never ever repay him that debt. I know how many hours he has spent on Dad's care, and those are hours Gregory didn't have to spare. From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you and love you dearly.
I humbly ask that you to pray for our wisdom tomorrow to make the correct choices. I also ask for prayer for Dad's strength to hang on just a little longer. If I could humbly make one more request, it would be for peace for my family, regardless of the outcome God chooses to give us.
Another dear friend of mine sent me this scripture tonight for comfort.
HAVE MERCY ON ME, O GOD, HAVE MERCY ON ME, FOR IN YOU MY SOUL TAKES REFUGE. I WILL TAKE REFUGE IN THE SHADOW OF YOUR WINGS UNTIL THE DISASTER HAS PASSED. I CRY OUT TO GOD MOST HIGH, TO GOD WHO FULFILLS HIS PURPOSE FOR ME. HE SENDS FROM HEAVEN AND SAVES ME, REBUKING THOSE WHO HOTLY PURSUE ME; GOD SENDS HIS LOVE AND HIS FAITHFULNESS.
Psalm 57:1-3
Love,
Renee
No comments:
Post a Comment