Clay spent the night with Dad last night. He said that he quit counting the number of times he got up with Dad after the tenth time. He told Mom that he was so tired when he got up this morning that he could hardly move. Even Dad said that he himself had not slept well. He said that every time he got up to go to the bathroom, he would look over and Clay was sitting up waiting for him! Mom is back on duty tonight.
Dad is still very confused. Last night, Mom told him that "We need to take a shower." He answered her "WE do not need to take a shower. WE have already had THREE showers today. The only person who needs to take one is YOU!" He really had not had a shower yesterday, but Mom didn't push the issue. He also asked if he and Mom were back in their own home. He reminded her that it was time for his breakfast (after he had already eaten breakfast). He reminded her that it was time for lunch (after he had already eaten lunch). She asked him if he knew where he was, and he responded, "I don't know why everyone keeps asking me where I am. If THEY don't know, how do they expect ME to know?" Dad also slept a lot today. I'm sure he is tired from his own lack of sleep at night.
Yesterday, after Mom told me how much Dad has been eating, I told her that it could be the steroids Dad was on. She told me that he wasn't on steroids anymore. I questioned that; usually when you are on steroids for an extended period of time, you don't quit taking them abruptly. I told her to check her discharge medication sheet from the hospital, and she said there were no steroids listed. He has not had any steroids since last Friday when he was discharged. The steroids were being used to decrease the swelling in his brain, which in turn decreases the confusion. I told Mom that she needed to contact Dad's doctor and make sure his steroids were supposed to be discontinued. Well, it turns out that Dad was supposed to stay on the steroids. It was left off his list of medicines that are to be continued at home. I think that this has probably added to his confusion, and possibly made him more tired. They also did not tell Dad to check his blood sugar at home. He was checking it four times a day in the hospital, and every time I was in the room with him, they had to give him insulin because his glucose levels were way too high. If they were high then, it stands to reason they would be high now. If his glucose is too high, it can cause increased urination, both during the day and at night. It can cause dizziness and confusion too. Mom is going to ask the doctor tomorrow about checking his glucose. I hope the doctors don't get tired of us asking questions, but if I hadn't questioned his lack of the steroid, he wouldn't have taken it until he went back in the hospital again on Monday. That's the pharmacist in me coming out - I knew someday all that education would pay off! That steroid is very important to Dad's therapy.
I am baking two loaves of pumpkin bread as I type this to take to Dad's primary doctors tomorrow. I want them to know how much we appreciate all the time they have invested in Dad. Dad's hematology oncologist and neurological oncologist are both wonderful. I haven't met the two doctors who actually discharged Dad yet. Hopefully I will get to meet them next week.
Tomorrow Dad goes to receive his $3000 shot of Neulasta. It's used to decrease the risk of infection for patients receiving high doses of chemotherapy that can reduce your numbers of white blood cells. He will be given that shot after every cycle of chemotherapy. That's $15,000 for 5 shots! I am going to Vanderbilt in the morning to meet them at the Vanderbilt Clinic for their appointment. Mom will be driving there from Kay's house. I believe this will be the first time Mom has driven to Vanderbilt. Someone else has always been the driver. Kay will be going with them to be the navigator! Should be interesting :)
I hope all is well with each of your families. Have a very blessed day.
Love,
Renee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment