Friday, October 16, 2009

Last night was another rough night, but TODAY was a GREAT day!   They are keeping an oxygen monitor on Dad while he sleeps, and all night long, his oxygen level kept dropping into the 50 percent range (it is supposed to be at 100%).  Mom said alarms went off all night long, and nurses kept coming in and telling Dad to breathe.  They aren't sure what is happening, but  are checking to see if it is because he is sleeping with his mouth open.  His CPAP machine is covering his nose, so they are adding a chin strap for tonight.  Maybe tonight will be the night they get some sleep.......

Kristie spent the day there, and she surprised Dad with a pizza (he did his best to get one yesterday but Mom the watchdog was there) and a cupcake from GiGi's Cupcakes.  Kristie and I have passed this little bakery many times, and we finally went in on Tuesday.  The cupcakes are absolutely beautiful.  The icing on top of each cupcake is almost three inches tall.  The flavors are really different - Red Velvet, Spumoni, Wedding Cake, Italian Cream Cake, you name it - they've got it - and all for only $3.00 per cupcake!  If you buy one dozen cupcakes, they knock the price down to $2.75 per cupcake - a bargain, for sure!  Anyway, Kristie and I walked out without buying any, but she went in today and bought three.  Dad was allowed one-fourth of a cupcake (Mom's allotment), and his blood sugar only went up to 117 (though it was 160 tonight).  Kristie said the smile on Dad's face was worth every cent!  She said he laughed again all day.  That's not to say that he didn't get confused and say some things that made no sense at all, but she said it was a great day!!!!  I don't know why hearing that Dad had another great day makes me cry, but they are tears of happiness.  We have waited so long to have some good days, and I am just overwhelmed with joy.  I give all the glory to God, and I can't wait to see what He has planned next.

Dad is having another MRI of his brain and a CAT scan of his abdomen on Tuesday.  Mom is not sure why they are checking out his abdomen, and I wasn't there, so I don't know either. We will find out then if the tumor has been shrinking.  Mom thinks that she will be able to drive herself and Dad to Vandy that day- she says that she has to learn how to drive there sometime.

They were both ready for bed early tonight.  She was giving me an update, and Dad asked her if she could POSSIBLY think of anything else to talk about!  He was grumpy and ready for bed.  Mom is hoping that tonight there will be no alarms.  They are taking out the catheter before he goes home, so she knows she will not be getting any sleep after he leaves the hospital.  She was hoping he could go home with some type of catheter, but the doctor says that it would be too easy for Dad to pick up an infection that way.  They are hoping they might get to go home tomorrow, so I am praying for a smooth, quiet night.

Two happy days in a row are SUCH A BLESSING.  I wish I could go back to Nashville tomorrow, but I have to work in the morning.  I am so very thankful tonight for progress.  That is truly an answer to prayer.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Love,
Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment