Friday, October 23, 2009

WE HAVE HAD A MIRACULOUS DAY!  The results of the MRI and CAT scan are in, and Dad's tumor has shrunk from 41 millimeters to 8 millimeters.  That is an 80% decrease in width in two treatments.  His doctor was thrilled with the results, and we are going to finish the next three treatments as planned - there won't be any alterations of the chemo regimen and NO radiation.  Can I have a hardy AMEN?!!!!!!!  Kay asked Dr. Reddy if it would be okay if they came home for a few days, and she said she saw no reason why they couldn't, so........we packed up a few things, and Caitlin, Erin and I brought them home until Sunday.  Dad had no problems in the car.  We stopped once at the Tennessee border Welcome Center, and then he decided he was hungry.  We stopped in Franklin (Kentucky) at the Zaxby's (we went through the drive-through to save time!) and we got them home around 7:30 tonight.  They were so unbelievably happy to be home.  Mama says that we just can't understand how hard it has been for them to be away from home for so long.  She said it even SMELLS wonderful in their house!  I went back and checked my blog, and they have been away from home since September 26th.  Dad was sure that they had only been away from home since Monday.

The bad news (why does there always have to be bad news?) is that his aneurism has grown.  It was 7.8 centimeters wide and now it is 8.1 centimeters wide.  That is almost a 5% increase in size.  Right now, we are dealing only with the cancer; we just have to trust that the Lord knows what He is doing.  Dad said tonight that "By His stripes we are healed", and "We have to believe that God will do what He says He will do." Dad was so upset last night; he wanted to be anointed by several preachers that he knows in Rockport.  Kay did the next best thing:  she called her friend Anthony, a very kind preacher who lives down the street from her.  He and his wife came to their house at 8:30, prayed and anointed Dad.  You DO have to believe that God is faithful to His Word, and we have asked for healing.  My Dad has claimed God's promise, and now he is just waiting for God to follow through.  One thing I have learned during my 48 years of being a preacher's kid:  God ALWAYS follows through.

In my parent's house, the family room is right off the kitchen, but you must take two steps down to get to the family room.  Dad's "throne" (his giant recliner) is right below those two steps, and those two small steps are Dad's biggest threat.  There is no hand rail to hold onto when you step down.  He goes up and down those steps during the night.  He goes to sleep in his bed, but gets up after a few hours and finishes the night in his chair.  Those two steps down that he takes to get to his chair are the reason why it is necessary for someone to stay with them.  Tonight I held tight to his arm as we walked into the house, and when we got to the kitchen, I said, "Dad, you must not, under any circumstances, try to walk down those steps by yourself."  He said, "I have no intention of going down those steps at all."  He took two steps, reached out to grab the trim lining the door to the family room, went down the first step and tripped.  I had not let go of his arm yet, so I caught him.  I asked him about his previous statement of not going down those steps, and he reminded me that he HAD grabbed the door trim before he stepped down.  There will be a hand rail put up tomorrow, but in the meantime, the dining room table will be moved to block the door.  Mom really wants to stay there tonight without assistance.  Kay and I discussed the options, and we think that as long as the stairs are not an issue, they will be able to manage a night alone.

We are praising the Lord tonight - not that we ever STOPPED praising the Lord - but tonight the praises are said with smiles on our faces and gratefulness in our hearts.  Last night I asked for hope, and today, God followed through, just like He promised.   Mom and Dad are home and good news is abundant in the Powell household tonight!  None of this would have happened without prayer - our family's AND yours.  Thank you so much for your prayers.  I know that each of you are rejoicing with us right now.  Finally............I get to share some REALLY good news!

Love,
Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment