Saturday, November 7, 2009

My dearest Daddy,
Today is the day I hoped would never come; there is no longer any need for me to let others know how you're doing.  Thankfully, everyone already KNOWS how you are now.  You are probably driving a hot rod up and down the golden streets, smiling and waving at all the people whose faces you haven't been able to see for years, and singing in perfect pitch along with the heavenly angel choir.  You are completely surrounded in beautiful sights and overwhelming sounds, and I know in my heart that you would never come back here, even if you were given the opportunity.

I have not able to write this last entry because, even though I am rejoicing with the thought that you are celebrating your first week of eternity in heaven, I have been overwhelmed with the grief that your loss has brought to my heart.  I truly thought that you would be able to fight this illness with the same resolve you have met every other obstacle in your life with - and that you would WIN.  The path that has led to this point was paved too carefully by God's hands for me to even consider the possibility that you might not be walking with us throughout this entire journey.  The appointments at Vanderbilt seemed to be available at exactly the right moment, the doctors were some of the best in the nation, the tumor shrank with astounding results, and still........your time here was nearly over, and I did not see it coming.

We celebrated your life on Wednesday and Thursday, with almost 800 people coming to pay their final tribute to their friend Freeman.  You were a blessing to so many people, and the loss to your family, your friends and your church is unfathomable.  I have to remind myself that you are now in the home you have labored so hard to reach.  Heaven is the destination we are all striving to reach; this earth is definitely not our home if we are a Christian.  To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, and that is what is giving me the strength to make it through each day right now.  You have reached the "Final Destination".  You have fought the fight, you have won the battle, and now you are basking in the most wonderful reward of all - an eternity with Jesus.

Your funeral (I like to call it the "Celebration of Your Life") was just the way you would have liked it.  There were lots of stories (we showed your 70th birthday tribute DVD), wonderful music (Mama was singing on her CD), and, of course, a sermon that told the message of God.  You never performed a funeral without preaching the gospel, and we had a wonderful message from two wonderful preachers, Brother Howard Matthews and Brother Cordell Simpson.  I think you would have been very pleased.  Brother Matthews even played "I Am Bound for the Promised Land" on his harmonica at the gravesite.  It was a beautiful tribute to a great man of God.

Daddy, I can't imagine how we could have made it through the past few months without God.  We would have had no hope.  You lived your life leading others to Christ, giving them hope, letting them know that death is not the end; it's really the beginning.  Welcome to the beginning, Dad.  My solace comes from knowing that the beginning is still waiting for me, and one day I will see you again, waiting with open arms.  We will go and praise Jesus together again.  Your legacy is the faith you have instilled in each of your children and grandchildren.  I learned the very painful truth that each day is truly a gift.  Tomorrow is never promised to anyone.  Our one goal on this earth is solely to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.  You and Mama have together shown us just how that goal can be accomplished. Your work is finished.  Now it's time to reap the harvest you've sown for so many years.

I am so proud and blessed that YOU were my daddy.  I will always love you.

Until we meet again,

Renee

1 comment:

  1. So touching. SO true. God Bless You All.

    ReplyDelete