Saturday, October 10, 2009

Caitlin, Erin and I arrived at Kay's house, and Dad had lots of company.  Two of my cousins, Gail and Lisa, along with their husbands, Terry and Jeff, had come to visit!  They thought Dad was doing pretty good.  He remembered their jobs, and laughed at some stories Lisa had to tell about her dad, my Uncle Pete.  Lisa has always been a great story teller, and there is nothing my dad likes better than a good tale!  Mom tried to retell one story, and according to her, it had something to do with Uncle Pete loading his family up for a vacation on a cattle truck.  I think something got lost in the translation when Mom tried to retell the story, but she said that Dad just laughed and laughed!  Those moments of laughter seem to be coming farther apart, and I feel very lucky if  I am there to enjoy them.  Today, I missed them.

After they left, I presented Dad with his first new hat.  He was very proud of it, and wore it the rest of the afternoon.  He even took his naps in his new sock cap.  He told me that his head has been really cold lately, and that's why he liked it.  I told him it was a good thing, because I am making him nine more in various colors!  I have almost finished his red one.  I think Mom is afraid he will wear his cap in the hospital, but if it makes him feel better, I'll be happy to give him a full wardrobe of haute couture headwear!!!  Well, actually it will be ten colors of exactly the same plain sock hat, but HE doesn't care.  

At lunch time, he told me he had already eaten lunch, and wasn't hungry.  I reminded him that his company had just left, and he hadn't eaten, so we made our way into the kitchen where Kay had cooked some cashew chicken and rice just for him.  He ate every bit of it, and then had chocolate pudding and about 10 sugar free life savers.  He went back to his chair and slept for an hour, until I woke him up and convinced him to go lay down on his bed. He was very unsteady on his feet, and missed the turn to the bedroom.  He also missed the turn to the bathroom several times.  He just walks right past the door.  He sleeps a lot now, but I tell myself it is because he doesn't sleep at night.  He complained about his headache again, and told me that it hadn't gone away for days.  The oxycodone relieves some of his pain, but I know it's not a good sign that he needs the strong  pain medicine every day now.  

I didn't get to talk much to Dad because he slept most of the afternoon, either in his chair or in his bed.  He doesn't watch TV, he doesn't try to read the paper, he doesn't listen to his tapes; he just sits.  It's never long before he falls asleep, covered in warm blankets (and now, his hat of the day).  I am so ready for the next round of chemo to begin.  Dr. Reddy thinks we might see some improvement after the second round is over.  To our family, there could be no greater gift.  Right now, we are just biding our time, waiting............

 May God bless you and your family,
Love,
Renee


1 comment:

  1. Renee,
    Thank you so much for your daily reports on Freeman. I know you are exhaused, but those of us who are not there truly do appreciate the time and effort you put into each post. Please tell your dad and mom that Marsha and Doug Moore(former coworkers at DCMS and he married us) said hello. We are praying for Freeman and all of your family. Your support of each other at this difficult time is amazing.

    ReplyDelete