Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Kristie and I got home at 8:30 tonight, and they still had not started Dad's Methotrexate.  His urine was not alkaline enough, so they have been giving him sodium bicarbonate both in tablet form and in an IV.  They did start his Rituxan this afternoon about 3:00 (the monoclonal antibody).  Mom just called and said they were going to start his chemo drugs now:  first Vincristine and then Methotrexate.  His stomach seems swollen, and the nurse thinks he is retaining a lot of fluid, so they are also considering giving him a fluid pill.  He has been going to the bathroom every 15-20 minutes already, so I can't imagine what will happen when he's not holding in extra fluid.

He slept most of the day - in his new red hat(hat #2)!  Tomorrow, he can wear his new fall multi-colored hat (hat#3) -  he seems to stay very cold.  He told me that if he slept all day, it was because he needed the sleep.  He said he hasn't slept well in the past 3 days.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that he hasn't slept well for the past 3 weeks - and neither has Mom.

Since chemo didn't start until tonight, I don't think they will leave the hospital before Saturday or Sunday.  Dr. Stein told them today that Dad's urine really wasn't where it should have been when they left 1 1/2 weeks ago.  I think they will be lucky if they leave by Saturday night.  I am very thankful that they are watching Dad carefully.

I have moved Kay's address to the upper left hand corner of the blog site in case any of you would like to send them a card or a letter.  The words of encouragement mean so very much.  They are away from home, but there is no doubt of how much they are missed and loved.  We appreciate so much all the kind words they have received.  In this bleak time, hearing from friends brings them a much needed ray of sunshine.

Hopefully within a few days, I will be able to tell you that we see an improvement in Dad.  The MRI that will detect any changes in the tumor will be done next week.  To all Dad's faithful prayer warriors, MAY GOD BLESS YOU.  Please keep him on your prayer list.  We are waiting on a miracle.

Love,
Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment