Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Last night was apparently a very difficult night for both Mom and Dad.  Dad had lots of trouble with the "'Texas Catheter", and both of them were up almost all night.  However, if you got Dad's version of the night, he had a pretty good night's rest.  Mom said at 5:30 AM, the head nurse came in and they discussed a different catheter - not the usual time to discuss these sorts of things, but apparently it was a long night for her too.  They came in, tried another catheter, and today has been a MUCH better day.  They were both ready for bed at 8:30 tonight.  Mom said she was so tired today that she could do absolutely nothing.  For Mom to do absolutely nothing usually means she is sick - so I know she HAS to get some rest.  Tonight they are both looking forward to uninterrupted sleep - at least as much uninterrupted sleep as a hospital can provide when they are administering chemotherapy at all hours of the day and night!

Dad was sick to his stomach this afternoon, but they gave him some medicine, and he felt much better.  His voice sounded fantastic this afternoon.  It's the strongest I've heard it in at least a month.  He also TOOK NO PAIN MEDICINE TODAY!!!!!!!!!  You have no idea how WONDERFUL it is to FINALLY write GOOD news in this blog!  It has been so difficult to open up my computer every single day and have nothing good to say.  I have been praying for something, anything, that would be a step in the right direction, and today, the Lord answered my prayer.  I hope this is the first of many days that I have good news to report.

Their room is very small - maybe 100 square feet, including the bathroom - but Dad has pointed out to Mom that there are SEVEN bathrooms in their room!  He is very insistent that he is right, and he makes Mom watch as he points out each door!  He also said there are four more bathrooms right outside their door, so they have access to twelve bathrooms.
Even when Dad comes up with wild stories, he sounds so convincing!

I am praying for rest for my parents tonight.  They are in such dire need of sleep.  Dad doesn't realize he's not resting, but Mom does.  When he did sleep today, his oxygen level would drop,  so they put him on oxygen every time he napped.  Mom said she would wake him up and remind him to breathe.  Tonight is going to be a better night.

I am heading to Vanderbilt in the morning to see my family.   I hope that you each have a very blessed day tomorrow.

Love,
Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment