Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mom says that Dad has been pretty agitated with her again today.  He is getting tired of her telling him what to do.  This is really a problem because, if Mom doesn't tell him exactly what to do, Dad doesn't do it (or he'll repeat something several times).  This includes eating the same meal several times, shaving several times in the morning, taking his medicine in double doses, you name it, he does it.  He doesn't understand why it's necessary for her to be so bossy.  He told her this morning that if she used the word "We" one more time, he'd wash her mouth out with soap.  It really hurt her feelings.  He has never talked to her like that.  They went for a walk outside, and she was holding his hand.  He told her that she didn't have to hold his hand; he could walk by himself.  She let go of his hand and told him that she knew she didn't HAVE to hold it; she just WANTED to.  He grabbed her hand and held it for the rest of the walk.

He has complained of a terrible headache for the past few days (except, apparently when Dr. Reddy asked him how bad it was, and then he told her it was only a low-grade one).  Mom told me that tonight he asked for some medicine to help with the pain, and some ice to put on his head.  He stacked towels over the top of his head, and Mom said he looked so much like a sultan that they got tickled.  He really got upset about this too, and told them, "You're not only laughing at me, you're making fun of me too."  I think that his personality is starting to change again.  He has been so tolerant and patient up to this point (the first personality change), but that is dissipating rapidly.  The pain in his head is a lot worse, and has been for several days.  His voice is a little stronger than yesterday.  They are going to be able to talk to Dr. Reddy tomorrow before his labs are run; hopefully she can help him with his pain.

Mom and Kay have not adapted well to testing Dad's glucose levels.  They have already used every strip in the sample box they received last night (10 strips).  I asked Mom if that meant they had pricked Dad's skin every time they used a strip, and  she said grudgingly said  yes.  Poor Dad has become a pin cushion.  All that sticking, and they have only taken three readings. I believe (translation:  pray) that they have finally figured out the proper method.  Mom has decided she will only prick his fingers.  You can also use specific parts of the palm of the hand, but it's just not working for them.

Tomorrow, they will take Dad to the lab and check all his blood levels.  They will have to wait at the hospital for the results.  If, for any reason, the numbers are off - NO CHEMO NEXT WEEK.  This would be disastrous.  Clay is driving them to Vanderbilt, and will help Mom navigate the hospital.  Kristie is driving down tomorrow and is spending the night, so Mom may drive home (without Dad) and pick up some warm clothes - if all goes well at the hospital.

Mom has a new cell phone number.  Her number is 270-316-1224.  We put her on our family plan so she can have unlimited minutes.  We are getting her a different phone.  I brought her one of our old ones to use until the other one is available.  I switched out her SIM card and called it to make sure it worked.  Mom is stuck with the ringtone that was already on the phone, and it is none other that Nickleback's "We All Just Want to be Big Rock Stars"!!!!!!!!  I am totally inept when it comes to programming phones, so she will just have to live with it for a few days.  Needless to say, when that phone rings in the hospital, she will have more than  a few people wonder why a 69 year old grandma wants to be a rock star!  Apparently I think this is funnier that Mom does!  At least she is finally hearing the phone ring!

Please keep Dad in your prayers.  We have seen a marked decline in his condition for the past few days.  Dad is in God's hands, and I am still hearing the verse BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD in my head.  I just keep repeating it, until once again I feel confident that God has been, is now, and always will be in control of my father.  I just need to learn to trust..........This is SO much easier said than done.  Dad told me yesterday that I don't need to WORRY about him; I just need to PRAY for him.  Well said, Dad.

Love,
Renee

1 comment:

  1. I feel so sorry for Jeanette. I know it hurts her deeply when Freeman gets disgusted and says things that hurts her, even though he really doesn't mean to. We are keeping the whole family in our prayers. May God bless you all.
    Bud and Shelby

    ReplyDelete